Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Tour De Perth and Prior.

What do I put into a blog that’s more than several months overdue? It can’t be any long winded stories or very few will read any of it, if not all of it. So heres a quick up date to get you up to speed.
After leaving Belgium I remained very sick, but true to any obsessive cyclist I continued to race and train through it until the point of injury. I had 2 weeks of very sedate training only just before Tour of Southland where I would have my debut ride for Genesys Wealth Advisers (who later went on to be Avanti racing team) my 2014 team. I went into the tour to help my team mate and friend Joe Cooper win the tour for them. A golden opportunity and the all clear from Joe left me chasing a dream of mine and winning a stage at Tour of Southland. Most importantly the first stage finish at the top of Coronet Peak.

I carried the momentum all the way through to the New Zealand Elite National Champs Time Trial. I won the Time Trial  by a small 12sec. My first National Title on the road! It was a little unexpected but also something I did feel one day I could win, I just didn’t expect that day to come so early. I had put such a huge effort into the ride I had no legs for the following road race. Something I will certainly look to correct for the next year.


Since then my racing has been very well controlled and planned out. I raced Tour of Manawatu which was a personal disappointment and what I felt was a missed opportunity to perform well in. I left the tour learning a lot and exactly how my team works. It was quickly followed by a trip to Brisbane for the Oceania Champs. A strong ride in the TT placing 6th and supporting the team to strong performance in the road race meant that Avanti Racing won the “Oceania Tour” qualifying us for a spot in the Team Time Trial at the World Champs in Spain in September. This is certainly something I would love to be a part of for sure.

After Oceania Champs I had a good chance to build into my most recent race, Tour de Perth. Good weather and the structure of being home helped and had brought on what I thought was some good fast legs. However on the first road stage while covering a attack my gears slipped which threw me off the bike and on to the ground. Falling heavy and hard and requiring a spare bike I was left to get my own way to the finish and out of contention. It wasn’t all bad though, the team performed extremely well throughout the tour. By the last day Joe Cooper was in the leaders jersey and we also had Mitch Lovelock Fay in 3rd and Ben Dyball in 5th.

In the final stage Joe had a slim lead of 4sec over 2nd place and our job was to defend the leaders jersey. A day on the front leading the peloton around a challenging course was a lot of fun. With the great support from the team mates and other teams trying to get the better of you it does become a bit of fun. Although at first it may hurt its cool to thing that you are leading the charge as you ride the front of the peloton defending the leaders jersey.


With 6 weeks at home before I start my next trip to Tour of Japan and Tour of Singkarak I have the chance to really focus on the finer weaker points of mine that were exposed during my racing this year. It seems really weird for me to be sitting at home living a “normal” life as for the first time in 5 years I haven’t needed to pack my bags and ship out to the far corners of the world and leave everyone behind. This is my chance to make the most of the adventure with Avanti Racing and see if I can really make that next step in the sport, but for now its solo training camps at Mt Ruapehu and laps of the Coromandel for me while the sun still shines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment