Monday, February 18, 2013

Count down to take off.

It is now exactly 2 weeks until I fly and start my adventure over seas with Terra Footwear - Bicycleline in Belgium, and it would be fair to say I am extremely excited.

From my last post I haven't done a lot of ridng. First up was a short break, 2 weeks of casual rides that will help the body recover not only from Nationals but the build up to the race also.

With the season only just starting there is no point charging on through with training and burning myself out by May. In recent weeks however I have been back pedalling the roads of Auckland where Aaron Strong (Steel Springs Coaching) has been working on reinforcing my fitness. With a lot of tempo work being the focus more so than the endless hours of "base" miles.

This has been a great way of training I have found works for me where I have seen some great results, but it also means I am getting better quality of riding done in a shorter amount of time and still having enough time in the day to work!

By work I simply mean A, working in a bike shop (Kiwivelo) and B, working for my Dad. All the work however has kept me pretty honest and has helped me to save a bit of money to fund my trip away. Being amateur again when PBR weren't offering any racing plans for 2013 it meant I was in a situation where if I wanted to continue chasing my dream I would need to fund it myself again for what will hopefully be one more year as I aim to make it my bike riding my profession. All this work has proved to be just as important to fund the trip as riding.

Realistically this opportunity wouldn't be possible if it wasn't for my parents and the people around me who support me. It feels great to be back in the Kiwivelo colours and seeing the amount of support from the local cyclist. Thank you to Rob Nichols who has one ear to ground for me and always looking to the horizon towards the future and a big thank you to RealHealth and Dr. Bill Donaldson for looking after me with Chiropractic work and their amazing in-house nutritionist Kaytee Boyd.

Bring on the 2013 season.

No comments:

Post a Comment